It has been announced that Nintendo was #1 publisher, with almost 4.5m games sold in 2014, for its second year in a row. Here are some highlights from Nintendo’s standout year:
– in the Top 20 for 2014, 8 games are from Nintendo
– Pokémon OR/AS was their #1 games with over 476k sold.
– Tomodachi Life is at 439k on Dec. 31st, over 450k right now (quite popular with children and young girls)
– Smash Bros. 3DS is at 279k (good word of mouth)
– Wii U is at over 510k, #2 behind PS4 but still better than XB1 (roughly 430k iirc). That’s below their expectation (~550k by the end of 2014).
– Smash Bros + Wii U bundle accounted for 1/3 of Nintendo’s total HW sales during the last 2 weeks of the year.
– Wii U is +40% YoY.
– 240k Wii U sold in 2014
– Mario Kart 8 sold 346k
– amiibo at 200k
– 20k amiibo sold last week. Right now, most people buying them do so for collecting. So this year, they’re gonna emphasize the use in games.
– MM3D N3DS already out of stock
– betting big on MH, which usually sells 100k/game.